So you finally got round to giving your website some TLC, first of all well done you, its never easy keeping your own website updated.
I am going to discuss 5 ways for you to really boost your chances of getting leads from your website. Websites have to evolve so get these basic things sorted and you will improve your website greatly.
1. explainer video
In case you have been in the Sahara for the last 5 years video is one of the best ways to sell yourself, its statistically proven to convert more sales and keep people on your website as well as going viral even.
So what is an explainer video then?
Its a video that’s explains something! Sorry… its that obvious but in reality its harder than you think to create. Basically you should sell yourself in around 20 to 30 seconds, introduce your business, solve a problem that your customers face, give them a reason to trust you and then provide a way for them to act, i.e. call now on 123456.
Here’s are few things to also consider when you plan an explainer video:
- Make sure that your brand is represented professionally, use your logo and your normal colour set.
- Try to keep the theme similar to the theme in your website/marketing materials, e.g. if your all about informal cartoon styles then use that same theme in your video.
- Keep your script punchy and interesting, don’t go on about why your are so wonderful, its boring, connect with your customer and provide benefits for them, remember its about them not you!
- Keep it short, 20 seconds is almost perfection!
Lastly if you have some spare time and your a little computer savvy then why not try and build your own explainer video? Before you knock it, check this website out, its free and they give you all the tools to make your own, how good is that!
2. restructure your website copy
If you didn’t use a professional copy writer then the chances are that your text could be pants, also did you write it about 5 years ago? Anyway first of all look at the type of things that your customers are searching for. Trust me, no-one cares to read ‘about us’ pages they are so 90′s! Really connect with your customers, why will they need your products or services? What problems do you solve? How are you better than your competition? What about the questions that you are always asked? Think about the language and sentences that customers will use to find you.
Use the answers to these questions to write website copy that will genuinely connect with your customers. Solve problems, provide benefits don’t brag about how wonderful you are! If you must then brag then why not provide genuine testimonials or case studies that customers will actually find interesting.
Remember to use the language and sentences in your website copy that people use to search in Google etc and you will not only improve your website but your will improve your search ranking too.
3. add a blog to your website
Whatever reason you have for not wanting a blog its plain lazyness on your part (probably!) or not wanting to keep up with the times. Get used to the fact that people want to engage online, they want to read and learn. OK lets say that you sell baby clothes, you can write articles about new baby clothes as and when they come out but it gets much better than that, you should think about engaging your customers, write about things that they will find interesting such as techniques for getting your baby in a routine or fashion advice for mums. See it doesn’t actually have to be about you and your products, you simply want to engage with your customers, you want to give your customers a reason to keep coming back to your website. You can read more about why you should have a blog here if your still not sure but take it from the professionals a blog will improve your website!
4. local listings
More focus is being put onto local searches, Google has recently made changes to its algorithms which makes local searches really important no matter what you do. Submit your website to Google local listings and others such as Bing local listings and Yahoo local listings. Make sure that you complete as much as possible regarding your profile, e.g. get some customers to review you, include all your contact details etc.
5. social networking
Still not jumped on the wagon yet? Denial! Look there’s no shaking it, your competitors are doing it, everyone’s doing it! No matter how much you hate Facebook, you need to get with the programme. There is too much to cover here regarding social networking so i’ll link to a new blog soon and cover this in more detail. But for now, do this…
- Install a bit of code that will allow customers to share your web pages online. That way they can share blogs, products or even useful information that you are going to write… right? Yes!!!
- If you really want to move forward then setup Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts and brand them accordingly don’t leave them looking standard it looks bad on you. Now you can start uploading new products and blogs every time you add content to your site. Note there are other really good social networking websites out there, depending on what your business does you may find them really good for your business, e.g. is you use a lot of really good images then look at something like Instagram or Pinterest.
To conclude this brief post, I have identified 5 great ways to improve your website, if you put these into place I guarantee you will convert more visitors into sales, improve your search engine rank and improve your brand identity!